Monday, May 3, 2010

Things I've Purchased to Become a Designer



I've been slowly purchasing things that I need to move forward with my designing career. I won't list the costs here but I thought I'd give you an idea of what's required.
So far I've bought 2 hat stands, a mannequin, software which includes Garment designer, Stitch Painter and Photoshop.
I've bought some yarn and an occasional needle. I have had a little yarn support from several distributors and I intend to pursue that more actively now that I'm designing full time.
My most recent purchase was a photographers stand and canvas backdrop. My husband has been borrowing a camera but we intend to buy one soon.



I've also paid out for postage, courier fees, test knitting and tech editing. I'm using a laptop that we already have but I know from past experience that computers need replacing regularly so that will be an ongoing business cost as well. I'm pursing this career out of a lifelong love for the craft but I do need to make some income vs. spending. I wonder how other designers deal with the initial investments and ongoing cash outlay?



2 comments:

  1. Handstrick FlairMay 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM

    Congratulations, Robin on good steps and very careful planing!
    To a topic "income vs. spending": my first "income" I was so happy about was tax-return. :-) I got back couple of tousends from fiscal authorities for start-up costs juring last 2 years. That was about 1/3 of spendings for purchase, office material, software, education cost...simply everything needed for doing designing including also a propotional costs for a part of my appartment wich I use as studio. I guess next year will tax-return still be the highest income, because there was practicly no other income so far. :-)
    Best wishes
    Snjezana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such stylish hat stands - I hope the revenue flows soon for you.

    ReplyDelete