Wednesday, May 12, 2010

French Girl Knits by Kristeen Griffin-Grimes


I ask the question, "Do you look at other designers' work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs?" in my weekly interviews. I personally look at everything: art, nature, textiles, mainstream fashion and the work of other Knitters. I never know where their inspiration will take me but I love the ride!



French girls knits has 18 garment patterns and the designs are arranged into sections by the construction technique used for each. The garments are all seamless. So if you hate to sew up this could be the book for you. Kristeen's passion for all things French is felt strongly in her introduction to each pattern. The designs are both vintage inspired and often very feminine in nature. Several of the garments utilize inserts (triangles of knitting) to add additional shaping at the hemline edges to improve their fit and capacity to flatter a women's body.

Each section is filled with extra technical advice and tips on fitting the garments to customize them to your own body. The patterns themselves appear to be written with a great deal of detail.

Some of the projects definitely have the younger knitter in mind but overall this book has many garments that I'd be happy to knit and proud to wear.



Stella pictured above is one of my favourites from this book. It's a technical tour de force. I rarely knit from patterns but this one is a real temptation with its fascinating construction and beautiful silhouette.


There is a web site as well you can find it here http://www.frenchgirlknits.com/index.php






Take a look at this book and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment