Friday, July 21, 2017

An Interview with...Faye Kennington






Once a week I post interviews with interesting people about their insights on their experience of working in the Knitting industry.  I’ve noticed that every one of these individuals makes their living in a slightly different manner bringing their own unique presence to the knitting world.

You can find Faye here on Ravelry.


Pattern to be released in August 2017.




Where do you find inspiration?
Quite often inspiration comes from the natural environment around me. I live on the west coast of Vancouver Island near Pacific Rim National Park and we have an abundance of flora and fauna in the temperate rainforest. The feather motif that I used in Feather Throw came to me after finding an eagle feather on a walk. Many of my colour-work designs feature local animals, too. However, I find inspiration can, and does, come from anywhere.


What is your favourite knitting technique?

I guess I'm going to have to go with short rows. Since learning the twinned stitched technique of shadow wrapping, the possibilities seem endless. I have a new hat design almost ready to go that is worked side to side with short row shaping at the crown. 


Pattern to be released August 2017.


Do you look at other designers’ work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs?
I often look at other's work, for a variety of reasons: 1) there is always a new technique or skill I can learn; 2) there's no point in investing the time necessary to produce a design if it is too similar to a good pattern already readily available elsewhere; 3) I love the knitting craft and it would be a shame to miss out on the beautiful things other Designers are putting forward; and, 4) I've gotten to be friendly with many Designers on social media and I enjoy cheering them on.


How many sample/test knitters do you have working for you or do you do it all yourself?

I write my patterns, knit the samples and photograph the finished objects. Then my Technical Editor looks at the pattern and I make adjustments. Then I post a call for Test Knitters on Ravelry. After I incorporate Test Knitter feedback, I publish. 


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/feather-throw



Did you do a formal business plan?

No. I have goals, but designing is my secondary business, so sometimes my goals must take a backseat to my primary business.


Do you have a mentor?
Not really. However, I am a member of a Slack community of Designers where I can bounce ideas off my peers.


Do you have a business model that you have emulated?

No.


Do you use a tech editor?
Yes.


How do you maintain your life/work balance?

I don't! 



http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/waverleaf


How do you deal with criticism?
Talk a long walk with a friend and rant. Look for the kernel of truth once I've calmed down.

How long did it take for you to be able to support yourself?
I live in a rural and remote area and it's not uncommon for people to wear many hats to make ends meet. I have been self-employed for 3 years, but not all my money comes from design. I have been designing since 2010.


What advice would you give someone who wants to pursue a career in knitting?
I think that if you want a career in knitting, unless you can get a full time job for a yarn company or another third party, you should expect to take on a variety of roles and income streams. For example, you may want to design patterns AND provide technical editing service for peers AND teach at your LYS OR develop a yarn line OR offer photography services, etc. I don't think many people can make a go of it just by designing patterns alone.

Also, it's been said before, but start as you mean to continue. Try very hard to produce a professional quality product from the get-go. It's relatively easy to self-publish a poor quality pattern, but that won't be the legacy you want to look back on in the future.


What’s next for you?
Looking forward to the Indie Design Gift-A-Long, a seasonal gift knitting KAL with a group of independent Designers on Ravelry, I have been working on a series of hat patterns, and a number of stranded colour-work designs including some beautiful Christmas Stockings. If you want to see what I'm working on, please follow me on Instagram at @UkeeKnits.
 


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/whitefish-ripples

No comments:

Post a Comment