Wednesday, August 6, 2014

How do you see colour?



My husband takes the photos for all of my patterns and I've often noticed we use different names for a single colour. I always thought it was due to his print industry background. Printers use four colours to create all the others. CMYK refers to the four inks used in some color printing: cyan, magenta, yellow, and black. If you want to know more, go here for a full explanation. 

I recently found this graphic: 



It explains gender based colour naming differences. 

According to http://www.datapointed.net/2010/09/men-women-color-names/  by using the interactive version of the graphic here. You can "witness the nuanced verbal repertoire of feminine color differentiation. While us men are busy grunting, guzzling beer, and shoving our hands down our pants, women get specific by mixing fruits, animals, spices, flowers, and other such familiarities with finely-honed modifiers like neon and dusty. The result? A vast panoply of warm-fuzzy color names that seemingly trounces anything our Y-chromosomes have to offer."

Now I know why he called an upcoming pattern the orange thing. Fascinating isn't it?

If you enjoy reading my blog, I'd really appreciate it if you would tell your knitting friends or share links to your favourite posts online with Twitter, Ravelry or Facebook. Word of mouth is really helping to grow my business as knitters respect the views of other members of our community. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Great post and great resource! I'm naming skeins today so it will come in very handy. My spouse, a writer!, is no help whatsoever. He doesn't understand why I can't name my skeins Rock Star 1, Rock Star 2 etc. etc. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me laugh! You would think a writer would have a better handle on generating names. Now that I understand it's a gender difference I'll try not to be so hard on my husband.

      Delete