Monday, January 31, 2011

The Ada Fanshawe Wrap



I have a collection of stitch patterns that I return to when I’m looking for inspiration. I’ve had this one a long time but I’m not sure what the original source was. It’s not exactly the same on both sides but it’s almost the same due to the little triangles made up of stocking stitch and reverse stocking stitch. It is reversible in that the so called wrong side is very nice and almost the same in appearance. The only difference in it is that  the K1, p1, k1 column reverses to P1, k1, p1. The pattern is easily memorized and has a nice flow once you get going. If you decide to knit this one don’t let the 24 row repeat intimidate you as the rows progress logically creating little triangles once you get past that first repeat. The edges have a pretty zigzag that adds vertical visual interest and slims your body by pulling the eye of the viewer up and down when it is worn as a shawl. The silk content of the yarn allows the fabric to drape so it is easy to wear as a scarf as well.  The instructions include both a charted and a written version of the stitch pattern so that you can use whichever format you prefer.


One of my friends test/sample knit this for me and told me that she enjoyed working on it. I've had a few people knit for me and I can't express how much fun it is for me when the project comes back. It seems like magic to hand over a swatch, a written pattern and the yarn and some time in the future get the whole thing back completed. I've knit so much over the years that having someone else create the item feels very odd (but wonderful). I'm new at this so right now I can only hand off simple designs that most decisions can be made on the swatch. I was thinking about adding a fringe or perhaps tassels to the finished wrap but I didn't add either to the swatch so when the completed wrap got back to me I realized that spacing would be simplified by utilizing the eyelets created by the yarn overs. 

I knit and write at the same time for my complex projects. Afterward I test my written instructions by working on something else to clear my mind and then going back and doing test swatches, knitting from my own instructions. Some projects get test knit at that stage and some don't depending on what I feel is needed to finish up the design before the tech edit stage.


When this wrap came back to me to be blocked  I could see there was still lots of yarn so I decided to finish it with a knotted fringe rather than the tassels I was considering. I really love the elegance of that type of fringe. I often debate fringe with a Knitting friend who always says "fringe is just a waste of good yarn." Oh well, we have to appreciate that not everyone sees these things in the same way. It was especially easy to add the fringe due to the eyelets at both ends created by the yarn overs of the pattern. I only had two spots that did not have an eyelet ready made and waiting for me. So in this case the fringes are perfectly spaced.




The yarn used came from Dye Version. You can find them here. There is more detail about the yarn here. Their description of the yarn states "This luxurious sock weight yarn with 2% real sterling silver fibres is perfect for Shawls and Lace projects.The subtle sparkle adds a touch of elegance for every affair."

 
The yarn is 20% silk and the wrap drapes beautifully because of that. I can't wait to wear it. 


1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful. Was it serendipity that the holes for the fringe were nicely spaced and there for you to use? I think your brain must have been working when you didn't even know it. Lovely design.

    ReplyDelete