Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Reno Hell - Working from Home During a Renovation


Working from home is always a challenge of balance and focus. I'm knitting but I'm not getting as much writing done as I planned because this summer my husband decided to book all of his vacation instead of spreading it out over the year. The main reason for this is that we are renovating our bathroom. The first week he was off we spent sourcing all the supplies, making the design decisions and getting a contractor in to get a quote.

We live in a 30 year old building. We're been here 18 years and we have the original bathroom. There is a lot of water damage from a previous flood above us. You know where I'm going with this don't you?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

My husband is reeling from the amount of cash this is going to take. This is for a small bathroom 5" by 5" of  floor space outside the tub, add a toilet and vanity and I struggle to find a bath mat to buy that fits into the room. LOL!

Within 3 days of placing our order for fixtures we got a call to say that the vanity is on back order  for at least 6 weeks. AAARRRGGHHHH! This problem cascades down and impacts the wall cabinet, sink, counter top and tap choices, so back we go to choose a new vanity. More money is spent but the good news is that the sales rep felt so bad she added in a few discounts to get us closer to the original number.


Everything was shipped to us the week before the demolition started, except the vanity which is supposed to arrive this week. I'm not sure how noisy this will be, so how much work I can get done this week is yet to be seen. Oh and the waiting period when you live in a condo can be a little problematic as well. Our balcony has boxes of tiles everywhere and my cats are enjoying their perches on the fixture boxes in our living room. The last picture includes my husband amongst the boxes crowding our living room while we checked that everything on the order arrived.



Update: the bathroom has been torn apart, there is dust everywhere and we have the cats gated in the living room with a tall cardboard wall at the doorway. I'm feeling a little stressed out and will escape for a little while to attend my Pro-Knitters meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment