Friday, December 27, 2013

An Interview with Megan Grewal

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/honey-toque


Once a week I post interviews with interesting designers about their insights on their experience of working in the knitting industry. I’ve noticed that every designer makes their living in a slightly different manner bringing their own unique presence to the knitting world.

You can find Megan here, here on Facebook and here on Ravelry.


Where do you find inspiration?
My children tend to be giving me lots of inspiration!
I love patterns, colours, cables and enjoy incorporating them into knitwear that will be cherished and remain classic in style.

What is your favourite knitting technique?
Most definitely, knitting the round. I don’t mind seaming and will do so when necessary, but I really love being able to avoid seams, if possible.

Do you look at other designers’ work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs?
I tend to go through phases. I love looking and seeing what other designers are up to and sometimes I am influenced by their work.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mrswarford

 How do you feel about the so called controversy of “dumbing down” patterns for knitters?
I struggle with this issue. When I began knitting from patterns in my teens, patterns were very simple and you would have to use some instinct to proceed. I find pattern writing can be quite a lot of work with having to spell everything out, line by line! I try to use a combo of pithy and written out instructions. This seems to be a decent compromise.

How many sample/test knitters do you have working for you or do you do it all yourself?
I have a group on Ravelry where I run my test knits. They are all volunteering, at this point. When I need a sample knitter, I usually use my daughter.

Did you do a formal business plan?
No.

Do you have a mentor?
No, but I do have quite a few designer friends and we mentor each other.
 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/willoughby-longies

Do you have a business model that you have emulated?
Not really. I do look at other websites, Facebook Groups, Ravelry Groups to see how I can improve.

What impact has the Internet had on your business?
I started designing after Ravelry came on the scene, so I mainly work through the internet. I find it very easy and less time consuming than printing patterns and selling them in a shop.

Do you use a tech editor?
Yes, I have a few that I use regularly.
 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/etta-tunic

How do you maintain your life/work balance?
My family always comes first. I also work in our family business, so I have to balance things carefully. I want my knitting business to remain enjoyable, so while I want to be a success, I also try to keep it fun and in its place.

How do you deal with criticism?
I respect everyone’s opinions :) I also look into the criticism to see if it something that I need to change or improve on. There is always room for growth!

How long did it take for you to be able to support yourself?
I am not there yet!

What advice would you give someone who wants to pursue a career in knitting?
Knit LOTS. Other designers patterns are well worth the time to knit. You learn so much that way. Start small, with projects that you have experience in and that you love. The love shows through!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vintage-baby-set---cardigan

1 comment:

  1. Great interview!
    I love Megan's designs, they are so well though-out and practical, yet super stylish.

    ReplyDelete